Here’s some clips of Donald Trump’s rally yesterday. The president said he is ‘crushing’ Covid-19, even as the country surpasses 220,000 deaths from the virus.
Speaking in Erie, Pennsylvania, Trump told voters ‘If you want depression, doom and despair. Vote for sleepy Joe Biden. And boredom’. Trump blamed former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton when his microphone cut out during the rally and also claimed that if the virus had not struck he would not have needed to campaign very hard to win re-election.
Here’s the latest case count for coronavirus in the US.
NBC News have a couple of quotes about what happened during the interview taping session in their report:
“You have to watch what we do to 60 Minutes,” Trump said early at rally in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night. “You’ll get such a kick out of it, you’re going to get a kick out of it. Lesley Stahl is not going to be happy.”
One source told NBC News that the president and Stahl spoke on-camera for more than 40 minutes. The president, during what the source called a “natural breaking point in the conversation,” told Stahl: “I think you have what you need.”
The interview was described by the source as “testy at times.”
“He gave them more than 45 minutes for a show that’s one hour and will also feature an interview with Pence, Harris, and Biden. They went way over, so he wrapped and didn’t do the walk-and-talk,” another source told NBC News.
The show will be broadcast on Sunday.
Here’s what the president was tweeting last night after the drama of the recoding of his pre-election CBS News 60 Minutes interview. First off he criticised host Lesley Stahl for not wearing a mask in the White House.
Describing doing a TV interview in the run-up to a presidential election as a ‘terrible intrusion’, Donald Trump went on to tweet:
Both the major candidates for president will appear on 60 Minutes before the election. Joe Biden taped his segment on Monday.
Hello! It’s Wednesday’s edition of our US politics live blog. Here’s a quick catch-up to get us up and running for the day…
- Donald Trump reportedly cut short the taping of a pre-election CBS News 60 minutes interview yesterday, then angrily tweeted about it. He also criticised host Lesley Stahl for not wearing a mask in the White House, and threatened to release footage of their exchanges before it airs.
- Nancy Pelosi and Steven Mnuchin had a call about a coronavirus relief bill. Pelosi said she is “closer” to reaching a deal with the White House, but acknowledged that a relief bill may not be passed until after the election.
- The US has seen nearly 300,000 excess deaths since late January, according to a new report from the CDC.
- The justice department filed its antitrust lawsuit against Google, accusing the search engine giant of unfairly stifling competition.
- USA Today gave its first-ever presidential endorsement to Joe Biden.
- Trump’s financial documents revealed that the president has a bank account and paid taxes in China. Trump often derides his opponent as a China sympathizer, pointing to Hunter Biden’s dealings in China as evidence.
- The president yesterday asked attorney general William Barr to “act fast” and investigate a series of dubious claims against Joe and Hunter Biden.
- Trump’s denial of E Jean Carroll rape allegation was an ‘official response’, justice department says. It seeks to substitute itself as the defendant in her defamation case.
- Lawyers said they were unable to reach the parents of 545 children separated at the border by the Trump administration.
- Trump will be attending a rally in Gastonia, North Carolina later today.